The World Bank Group is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. It uses financial resources and extensive experience to help our client countries to reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life. To ensure that countries can access the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge knowledge, the World Bank Group is constantly seeking to improve the way it works. Key priorities include delivering measurable results, promoting openness and transparency in development, and improving access to development information and data.
We are recruiting to fill the position below
Job Title: Consultant – Request for EOI for a Baseline Survey for the Nigeria Livestock Micro Reforms in Agribusiness (L-MIRA) project
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Language Requirement: English
Objective and Scope of Work
- The L-MIRA project is a non-lending, advisory project fully funded by the Gates Foundation and Implemented by the World Bank Group (WBG). The project is led by the Trade & Competitiveness Practice Group, and designed in partnership and with input from the WBGs Livestock Working Group and staff of the Agriculture global practice (GP). The objective of the project is to harmonize, simplify and improve regulations in the poultry value chain.
- The WBG is seeking to recruit highly qualified survey firm (the Consultant) to assist with carrying out M&E baseline survey in relation to the project. The baseline information is critical to measuring the success of L-MIRA project in achieving its objectives.
- The survey will collect data relevant to the key business regulations for suppliers (producers, importers, wholesalers and retailers) of different inputs (poultry drugs, vaccines, animal feed and day-old chicks, or DOCs) to poultry producers. Business regulations (or regulatory processes) of interest are those that are required for operation of the input suppliers, such as obtaining and renewal of registration, licenses, permits and certificates for businesses, professionals, premises and products/inputs.
Data collection will be conducted tentatively in Lagos, Oyo, Kaduna and Kano States. The survey will consist of the two activities:
- Activity 1: Qualitative research – This activity will include: Review of laws and regulations affecting input suppliers, Review of relevant existing research, including but not limited to work accomplished or supplied by L-Mira project team, Interviews with respective regulatory bodies (NAFDAC, NIAS, SON, FMARD, NVRI, NAPRI), as well as other important players on the Value chain – Poultry association of Nigeria (PAN), other associations/NGOs, donors and Interviews and/or focus group discussions with a few private businesses.
- Activity 2: Quantitative survey of the input suppliers – This activity will inquire at least 200 input suppliers of different groups – producers, importers, wholesalers and retailers of poultry drugs, vaccines, animal feed and DOCs. Respondents should be top managers or owners of businesses most knowledgeable in the topics of the survey. The method for data collection should be face-to-face interviews, conducted with a paper-based or digital (preferred) questionnaire.
The selected survey firm would work with World Bank Group experts to finalize the survey instruments, field-test them, conduct the survey through face-to-face interviews with businesses, and present the full data and summary results.
Qualifications of the Survey Firm
- The firm should demonstrate a strong track record (at least 5-10 years of experience) of delivering similar assignments, especially in the agricultural / agribusiness value chains including working on Livestock value chain.
- 5-10 years experience implementing large-scale quantitative and qualitative data collection.
- Strong capacity and experience in planning and organizing survey field work / logistics.
- Minimum of 2 or 3 in-country mid-to-senior level personnel to dedicate 100% of their time to the project during piloting, training, field work and final reporting.
- Experience with electronic field-based data collection is an advantage.
- The Consultant should have experience working in Nigeria with experience working in the North and South West of Nigeria an extra advantage.
- Familiarity with the poultry sector in Nigeria desired.
- Good network of experienced enumerators and supervisors able to communicate in English and the relevant languages in the areas covered by the survey, and ability to mobilize them in a timely manner.
- Proven experience with field-based data quality assurance mechanisms.
- Proven ability to secure all necessary survey equipment (e.g. tablets) and handle all necessary logistics.
- Successful experience in developing / spearheading innovation in agricultural value chains as well experience with linking collected evidence with policy and/or program improvements will be a strong asset.
- Experience working with international development agencies is desired.
Qualifications of Key Staff
The survey firm should present a Team Leader for this assignment with:
- At least a Master’s degree in fields such as Business Administration, Agricultural Economics, Animal Production or similar and at least 10 years of relevant experience in senior managerial or program management leadership positions;
- Experience in leading high-level advocacy activities in agribusiness successfully engaging with top leadership in Government, the private sector and the donor community is a strong asset.
- Experience of working in Nigeria is necessary while a multi country work experience is an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of English language, written and spoken. Knowledge of Yoruba and/or Hausa would be a significant advantage.
- Understanding and experience in leading M&E activities including experience with methods and techniques of qualitative and quantitative M&E data collection and analysis, including tracking outcome indicators.
- Proven experience with field-based data quality assurance mechanisms and in conducting/leading surveys in Nigeria.
- Computer proficiency (Windows, MS Office, Internet Explorer, MS Excel);
- The World Bank Group intends to finance the assignment/services under:
- BB – BANK BUDGET
- TF0A2547 – Livestock – West Africa Micro Reforms in Agribusinesses
- Individual/Firm: The consultant will be a firm.
World Bank Group Recruitment – How Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: When the application page opens, click on “Business Opportunities” and select “Request for EOI for a baseline Survey for the Nigeria Livestock Micro Reforms in Agribusiness (L-MIRA) project” to apply
Application Deadline: 1st August, 2017.